SHHHOWERCAP Review: The Noir

Hello. How are you. This is a blog post about an awkward video that I uploaded to YouTube.




Look at my mediocre thumbnail that I made! It's suuuuper great. Really, I couldn't get the sizing quite right and the top is cut off on the video thumbnail. For shame.


(Note: The video contains supplemental information about this item. If you want to know more of my thoughts and see the item in action, the video is for you! Click for shitty video.)


Anyway, details.

I stumbled on this item about a year ago while searching for plastic shower cap alternatives. I have been very interested in the Plastic-Free/Zero Waste movement and this was another step in eliminating disposable waste from my household. At $43 ($45 total with shipping) the price was a bit steep for me, so I signed up for the company's email newsletter and waited for a coupon. The day came when a 20% off code was sent out and I decided to strike! After debating with myself over which color/print I would hopefully not get tired of seeing, I went for my good friend, solid black. Which I am happy to say I am not tired of looking at and at this point I doubt that will ever be the case.

(They have since released even more patterns and colors and really, I like the product so much that I would probably be happy with almost any of them.)

Let's look at the claims. (Taken from the Shhhowercap website)

- Made with Nano-Technology -

            "Our premium nano-tech fabric repels water on a molecular level, which means it’s not just waterproof, it’s also hydrophobic. Water beads up and slides right off. Because, science."

Well now. I have no way to disprove this so, yeah. Sure. Great! Science is...science...Yes.


- Dries In Seconds - 

            "Water repels on contact and when the fabric does get wet, it dries immediately. So your SHHHOWERCAP is dry as soon as you step out of the shower. Which means you don’t have to worry about SHHHOWERCAP making a drippy mess of your bathroom floor, gym bag, or suitcase."

For the most part, yeah! "Dry as soon as you step out of the shower." Eh, no? Like, no, it does not absorb moisture but the water will still be on it. Think of an umbrella. I think the actual claim of "Dries in seconds" itself is more accurate. Quicker than the umbrella. I find that a good flick/brush off or towel pat does the trick. I am definitely able to take a shower, dry off the cap, and throw it in a suitcase or bag. Easy peasy. Squeezy breezy.


- Stays Fresh Always -

           "Traditional shower caps get gross with mold, mildew, and other bacteria that causes smells and build up. Disgusting. Our *innovative* performance fabric has special antibacterial properties to prevent allll of that. So, SHHHOWERCAP will always stay as good as new."

Yes. You know that gross elastic band that builds up oil and bacteria. Yeah. I have experience with shower cap halo pimples, which is a phrase I just made up to describe the mild acne that develops around your hairline when you continuously use a shower cap. I have been using this thing since August of 2017, at this point it is almost 6 months? I have noticed no smell, no visible wear, and no halo pimples! Though if that does start to happen, the shhhowercap is designed to be machine washable dahling.


- Defies Humidity -

           "Plastic traps in the heat and humidity generated by your body in the shower. Humidity destroys volume, creates frizz, and ruins blowouts. Our proprietary fabric is breathable, so all of that hair-ruining moisture can escape, without letting a drop in from the outside."

Ok. I'll be honest with you here, I am definitely not a hair person. I don't do anything to it, not a thing. I also live in what is technically a desert climate and I absolutely do not have to deal with normal humidity. So, in not being a stereotypical hair conscious person, I don't truly know if this affects me. But I will say that I did not seem to notice a difference in 'frizziness' compared to a disposable cap. It could also depend on your hair type. I don't seem to be prone to this so apologies! I can't help here.


- 100% Water Proof - 

          "Everyone likes a little reassurance. We fused an additional waterproof layer to the inside of our SHHHOWERCAP fabric."

Accurate, I'd say. No water has come through the thing. And I checked! I check almost every time. Just out of curiosity, I guess. It is indeed waterproof to the best of my knowledge.


The rest of the claim/high points are...kinda subjective. I will list them briefly....now:

 "Impossibly Chic"
                         "Fashion Forward Silhouette"
                                                 "Feels Luxurious"
                                                                          "Encourages Relaxation"
           "Knows its Place"                                                           "Wear it Anywhere"
                                 "Helps You Help the Planet"                                                  "It Lasts Forever"
                                                                "Machine Washable"
                                                                                                "Made in the USA"


So not all of them are "subjective" but you get what I mean, yeah? I love the style of the "waterproof turban." To me it nods at vintage glamour, though the style is described as fashion forward. Is vintage glamour fashion forward?

There are even more perks listed on the box. Some are repeats, but I will state them as they are:

                     "It's Beautiful"      "Its Not Plastic"       "It's Quiet"      "It Stays Put"

                                         
So many adjectives.


I do appreciate that the company has focused on producing a high quality product. The website also states that production is kept local to ensure ethical manufacturing, which is something I can get behind.



THE MEAT & POTATOES

    ∙ Retail: $45 ($43 + $2 Shipping)
    ∙ Price w/ 20% Coupon: $36.40
    ∙ Quality: High, Well made
    ∙ Options: 13 Colors/Prints
    ∙ Ethical: Yes, according to website. (BUT, there is no information regarding the source of their materials)
    ∙ Worth the Money: I say yes. This is made to last and is washable.
    ∙ Landfill Meter: Low. The re-usability of this item is high, meaning this item will not enter a landfill in the foreseeable future.

I will never use a disposable shower cap again. But since I cannot completely control life, a better statement would be that I will do everything in my power to avoid using a disposable shower cap.

This is an easy zero waste swap. The necessity of this item depends on you and your lifestyle, obviously. If you do find that your life is easier by using a shower cap, then try this one. It is great.



       Ana



Post Script: If you found this blog post first, watch the video! The editing is shitty and I am uncomfortable on camera but these are supplemental to each other and you get to see the item in action.
If you found the video first, thanks for watching and now reading! Leave a comment telling me how bad my audio was 👍

Comments